|Season 2, Episode 4|
|Air date||March 24, 2014|
|Written by||Liz Tigelaar|
|Directed by||John David Coles|
| < previous|
| next >|
"The Escape Artist"
"Check-Out" is the fourth episode of the second season of Bates Motel. It aired on March 24, 2014.
The fallout from Caleb's return causes Dylan to question his loyalty to Norma and Norman. Christine brings Norma into the White Pine social scene. Norman grows increasingly worried about Caleb’s presence in town. Romero finds himself caught in the middle of Zane’s war with a rival drug family.
Emma is told by a family staying at the motel that a man has passed out in his truck in the parking lot of the motel. She sees that the man is Dylan, and fails to wake him. Instead, she gets Norman to carry Dylan into a bed in one of the motel room and leave him alone.
After Emma goes back to her office, Dylan awakens and begins talking about Norma's revelation that his father is Caleb. Norman tries to tell him that it doesn't change him as a person, but Dylan responds by hinting to Norman that a secret may be hidden from him, too. Norman later asks Norma if she's keeping a secret from him, and she says no. Dylan runs into Caleb and confronts him. Caleb returns Dylan's money and leaves.
Meanwhile, Cody suggests to Norman that they beat Caleb up so that he will leave Norma alone. They go to the motel that Caleb is staying at, but Norman changes his mind and they leave. Dylan and Norma get into an argument, and Dylan correctly accuses Norma of using his birth to get away from Caleb. Norman overhears and goes back to Caleb's motel, alone. In his "Mother" persona, "she" tells Caleb that "she" has been silent long enough and that he needs to listen to "her". "She" swings a knife at Caleb and when his uncle pushes him into a chair "she" remembers the rape and tells him that "she" was his sister and "she" had no-one to protect "her". Caleb pushes Norman to the ground and kicks him the chest before grabbing his belongings and leaving. Romero threatens drug leader Zane Morgan, and later sees a burning house (likely his own). Cody finds Norman in a trance in a coffee shop and drives him home.
- Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates
- Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates
- Max Thieriot as Dylan Massett
- Olivia Cooke as Emma Decody
- Nestor Carbonell as Alex Romero
- Rebecca Creskoff as Christine Heldens
- Martin Cummins as Peter
- Michael Eklund as Zane Morgan
- Kenny Johnson as Caleb Calhoun
- Paloma Kwiatkowski as Cody Brennen
- Ian Tracey as Remo Wallace
- Michael Vartan as George Heldens
- Matthew Mandzij as Deputy Jeffcoat
- Keenan Tracey as Gunner
- Jackie Blackmore as Motel Guest
- Stephen Boersma as Caleb Calhoun (child)
- Sarah Grey as Norma Bates (child)
- Lee Tomaschefski as Barista
- This episode had 2.23 million viewers.
|Damaged Goods||Gang of Four|