Highmore was born on February 14 1992 into a show business family. His mother, Sue Latimer, is a talent agent whose clients include actors Daniel Radcliffe and Imelda Staunton, and his father, Edward Highmore, is an actor. He has a younger brother named Albert ("Bertie"), born in 1995. Highmore's home is in Highgate, an area of North London.
Highmore was educated at a primary school in Hampstead Garden Suburb in Hampstead in North London, and at Highgate School, an independent school for boys in Highgate (also in North London), followed by Emmanuel College at the University of Cambridge, where he studied Spanish and Arabic. He graduated with a BA in 2014.
- Vera Farmiga stated in an interview that she requested Freddie for the role of Norman after seeing his movie The Art of Getting By at the Sundance Film Festival and viewing his audition tape for the show. She told Carlton Cuse that if he cast Freddie in the role he would have his Norma. Source
- Freddie was attracted to the role of Norman after getting bored with playing "the same character again and again." Source
- Freddie had to take 6 months off filming in order to finish his university degree and filming had to work around it. Source
- Freddie has stated that he rewatches Psycho before every new season of the show. Source
- In May 2015, Kerry Ehrin Tweeted that Freddie will be writing one episode for Season 4. Source
- The shower scene from Psycho was used in the 2005 film, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory which starred Freddie.
- Freddie was born the same year Anthony Perkins (who originally portrayed Norman Bates in Psycho) died.
- He previously acted with Ian Hart (who portrayed Will Decody in Season 1) in the 2004 film Finding Neverland.