Farmiga, the second of seven children, was born in Clifton, New Jersey. She is the daughter of Ukrainian immigrants Mykhailo, a computer-systems analyst, and Angela Suarez, a schoolteacher. Farmiga was raised in an "insular" Ukrainian American community, with Ukrainian as her native language. She did not speak English until she was six years old. She attended a Ukrainian Catholic school in Newark and toured with a Ukrainian folk-dancing ensemble, Syzokryli. As a girl, she converted with her family from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to Pentecostalism. In 1991, Farmiga graduated from Hunterdon Central Regional High School.
Farmiga met French actor Sebastian Roché while filming Roar. The two eloped to the Bahamas after the series' end in 1997. The marriage ended in 2005.
She married second husband Renn Hawkey in September 2008. Hawkey, a carpenter, is the former keyboardist for a synthpop band named Deadsy. They have a son named Fynn, born on January 15, 2009. On November 4, 2010, Farmiga gave birth to daughter Gytta Lubov Hawkey.
- She stated in an interview that she requested Freddie Highmore for the role of Norman after seeing his movie The Art of Getting By at the Sundance Film Festival and viewing his audition tape for the show. She told Carlton Cuse that if he cast Freddie in the role he would have his Norma. 
- Vera suggested the incestuous relationship between Norma and Caleb that would form a large part of Season 2.
- She served as a producer on the show from Season 2 until the show's end.
- In an interview after the Season 4 finale aired, it was confirmed that Vera did all her own scenes as Norma's corpse in the episode. Throughout the final season she did some scenes as Norma's corpse while others were provided by a dummy.
- In a June 2017 podcast interview, Freddie Highmore revealed that he and she have remained close friends since the show's end and that he is godfather to her son Fynn.
- ↑ Vera Farmiga on Bates Motel and Deciding to Do Television. Vulture Magazine. March 11, 2013.
- ↑ ‘Bates Motel’ Season 4 Finale Postmortem: Kerry Ehrin and Nestor Carbonell Talk the Big Death, Normero, and the Romero-Norman Feud. Yahoo! Entertainment. May 17, 2016
- ↑ TVLine Podcast: Dream Emmy Q&A With Bates Motel's Freddie Highmore. TVLine.com. June 12, 2017
|Vera Farmiga • Freddie Highmore • Max Thieriot • Olivia Cooke •
Nicola Peltz (1-2) • Nestor Carbonell (2-5) • Kenny Johnson (3)